Monday 30 April 2018

Jeff Bezos reveals what it’s like to build an empire and become the richest man in the world — and why he's willing to spend $1 billion a year to fund the most important mission of his life.

Ted S. Warren/AP Images
Mathias Döpfner, the CEO of Business Insider's parent company, Axel Springer, recently sat down with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to talk about the early days of creating Amazon, what he's learned since then, how he funds his rocket company Blue Origin, and what it's like when the president of the United States is your biggest critic.

The sit-down interview happened in Berlin, Germany, where Bezos received the Axel Springer Award 2018. You can read the complete transcript of their talk below.

Mathias Döpfner: Jeff, welcome to Berlin.

Jeff Bezos: Thanks, it's great to be here.

Döpfner: When we were sitting in the first row just a couple of minutes ago, waiting for the award ceremony, you looked at me: "Mathias are you nervous?" And I said, "Yes, I’m always nervous on occasions like that." And you said, "So am I." And I said, "Really?" The richest person in the world is nervous … Jeff, you used to work in New York as an investment banker. So, an investment banker is actually the exact opposite of an entrepreneur. He’s not taking risks himself he is taking advantage of risks, that other people take. How did you dare to think that you should become an entrepreneur and really launch a company?

Bezos: I think I always wanted to do it. Even since I was a kid. I had the idea. I was one of those people who every time I looked at something, it looks like it could be improved - there’s something wrong with it, so I’d go through, like, how could this restaurant be better. So I’ve always had that kind of idea. By the way, before we really get into this. How about this amazing production that you and your team have put together. This is truly incredible for its originality. These boxes that you were filming live – that’s just crazy cool. So thank you. [applause]



By Mathias Döpfner.

Full story at Business Insider.

No comments:

Post a Comment